Thursday, November 3, 2011

Ordinary Water Pots

John 2: 6
"Now there were six stone water pots set there for the Jewish custom of purification, containing twenty or thirty gallons each."
Remember the problem? The wine had run out at the wedding ceremony! Mary had told the servants to do as Jesus said and now Jesus was taking care of the problem. He told the servants to fill the water pots with water. So they did as Jesus said and filled the pots with water, all the way to the brim.  Then Jesus told them to draw some of the water out and take it to the headwaiter or better called 'the master of the feast'. The servants took water from the brimming water pots and carried it to the master of the feast. Somewhere in between the water became 'wine'. When the master of the feast sipped from the cup he was astonished, amazed. This was pure sweet wine, better than anything he had ever tasted before. He didn't know where it had come from but the servants who had brought it to him knew where it had come from. They realized that Jesus had turned the water into wine.
The master of the feast called the bridegroom over and complemented him. "Everyone serves the good wine first and then when men have drunk freely and are feeling the effects they bring out the poorer wine but you have saved the best wine until now.
John 2: 11 "This beginning of His signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.
This was Jesus' first miracle, done as a sign to the Jews that Jesus was sovereign over creation. Jesus could take ordinary water and change it into wine.

Sometimes I like to personalize scripture and apply it to my life. For example:
Lord, I am an ordinary person. Nothing good in me, nothing spectacular, just normal, average. I am a water pot filled with ordinary water that You have filled to the brim with Your Holy Spirit. You have changed me into someone new. May all that You draw out of me be of use to others. May they see the 'best' being used for Your glory, may there be a lasting impression given with an eternal perspective. You sovereignly rule over me and in me so I pray that Your glory will be seen in this vessel and that many will believe in You because of what You are doing in my life. I pray that lives will be changed to bring You glory from the miracle You performed in me and are continuing to perform in me daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment